(a) The cognizant administrative contracting officer (ACO) or corporate ACO shall—
(1) Determine cost allowability of IR&D/B&P costs as set forth in 231.205-18 and FAR 31.205-18;
(2) Determine whether IR&D/B&P projects performed by major contractors (see 231.205-18 (a)) are of potential interest to DoD; and
(3) Notify the contractor promptly of any IR&D/B&P activities that are not of potential interest to DoD.
(b) The Defense Contract Management Agency or the military department responsible for performing contract administration functions is responsible for providing the Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) with IR&D/B&P statistical information, as necessary, to assist DCAA in the annual report required by paragraph (c) of this subsection.
(c) DCAA is responsible for submitting an annual report to the Director of Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics) (OUSD(AT&L)), setting forth required statistical information relating to the DoD-wide IR&D/B&P program.
(d) The Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (OASD R&E), is responsible for establishing a regular method for communication—
(1) From DoD to contractors, of timely and comprehensive information regarding planned or expected DoD future needs; and
(2) From contractors to DoD, of brief technical descriptions of contractor IR&D projects.