(a) A Performance work statement (PWS) may be prepared by the Government or result from a Statement of objectives (SOO) prepared by the Government where the offeror proposes the PWS.
(b) Agencies shall, to the maximum extent practicable—
(2) Enable assessment of work performance against measurable performance standards;
(3) Rely on the use of measurable performance standards and financial incentives in a competitive environment to encourage competitors to develop and institute innovative and cost-effective methods of performing the work.
(c) Offerors use the SOO to develop the PWS; however, the SOO does not become part of the contract. The SOO shall, at a minimum, include—
(2) Scope or mission;
(3) Period and place of performance;
(5) Performance objectives, i.e., required results; and
(6) Any operating constraints.